The former Teatro Colón functioned from 1857 to 1888, closing in that year in order to start the construction of the current building, which was inaugurated on May 25, 1908 on Avenida 9 de Julio close to the traditional Obelisco. Since then, it became a symbol of Buenos Aires and Argentina. Its mission is to offer the most exquisite productions of opera, ballet, concerts and experimentation on its stage, while also training young talents in its Superior Institute of Art, who will shine in its hall and around the world.
In its beginnings, the Colón used to engage foreign companies for its seasons. In 1925 the resident companies were created: the Choir, the Ballet and the Orchestra, one of the oldest symphonic groups of Argentina. In the 50’s, as an icon of the city, the Buenos Aires Philharmonic Orchestra was established bringing together excellent instrumentalists. In the 30’s, the construction of its own scenery workshops allowed it to arrange its own seasons. Since then, the Teatro Colón has been established as a season theatre or stage.
After more than three years of complete restoration, since 2010, the Teatro Colón exhibits its entire original splendor. It’s the pride of Argentine culture and it has set a milestone for opera, dance and academic music in the world. Now, a policy of new subscriptions, non-headquarters activities, open rehearsals, free performances and proposals for children is expanding its audience in quantity and diversity.